Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spring Is Here! What's Growing at Our Place.


It's spring here! Finally! We do still have some cold nights, however, so the tender plants are indoors under lights or in front of the south patio doors for now. The hardier perennials and shrubs are starting to grow in the garden so those things are being planted out now, like primulas. Big, beautiful primulas are being sold for $0.99 everywhere! I plan to buy a lot of them. I love primulas for those small, shady areas on the north side  and underneath things. I have a jug full of primulas in several different varieties, wintersewed on the balcony. 


I started a lot of canna lilies from seed this year. You can see some small ones growing in the top picture. They are doing very well! I started one back in Dec. It's about 2.5 feet tall now and I assume it will bloom this summer. These were started in late Jan. Some of these may bloom this year too. I have had a few bloom from seed the first year. Cannas are great plants to grow from seed as they are very expensive to buy, but you don't know what you are going to get when growing them from seed. It's always a mixed blessing.

Canna lily seeds take some special treatment before they will germinate. You have to wear a small opening in the hard seed coat and then soak them in warm water for a few hours before planting. The first time I did this I tried many methods of penetrating the seed coat. The last was using a rasp on an electric drill while holding the seed with needle-nose pliers. That finally worked. It's very hard! This year I did it by hand with a stone sanding block. 


You can also see some of the flowering portulaca that I grew from seed this year, growing with the small cannas It's for our very hot, south, rock filled bed. It's hard to get flowers in that area because of the heat and dryness and also because of the poor soil which I plan to fix this year. Portulaca will thrive and bloom their little heads off in a rainbow of colours in the poorest, dryest, hottest locations, as long as it's dry. They don't like too much water or soggy feet. They are succulents, much like sedum, which I also have in that bed. I grew a lot of these from seed thinking that I would use them for hanging baskets because they need little water, but I think I will put all of these into the south, hot bed instead. I have a new drip irrigation system for the hanging flower baskets. 




Our tomatoes are all up now! It only took a few days and the seeds are three years old! I'm thrilled. I had some doubts about the viability of the seed but they have been properly stored, so I should have had more faith. 




These are all heirloom varieties that I plan to sell in our seed store in the fall. Our own 'Portugal' tomato seeds are big sellers. You can see why (left)!  I planted the 'Portugal" tomatoes, Reverend Morrow Long Keeper, Ailsa Craig, San Marzano, Matt's Wild Cherry and a Ailsa Craig x San Marzano cross that I have been working on for a few years. 

This cross is unnamed, as of yet, but is rapidly becoming our favourite little tomato! Its a small salad tomato like an Ailsa Craig with a pointed bottom. These little crosses are so sweet! The flavor is unbeatable and they are meaty like the roma San Marzano. I don't know if we will offer the crosses for sale this year or wait another year or two to stabilize it. 


I also planted some Manitoba tomato seeds. These are not heirlooms but are also non-GMO and organically grown. (Some people confuse the the terms "heirloom", "organic" and "non-GMO" which all have different meanings.) They are a strain developed for the short growing season in northern climates and are a good sized, sweet tomato good for slicing.


This is my one passion fruit seedling. I bought a package of seeds, soaked them in a little lemon juice, as recommended and planted them properly but only one came up out of about a dozen seeds. I have heard that they germinate better if planted with the very ripe fruit itself, rather than the dry seeds. I think that's why the lemon juice is recommended. The seeds need the slight acid to soften the coating. At any rate, I will have one vine, if it does well. Whether or not it will produce fruit here is another thing, but the flowers are worth growing for themselves! 




I also have a small pot of Virginia Gold tobacco coming up! I am only going to grow a couple of these for seed this year in the flower bed. We don't harvest and dry our own tobacco anymore, but we used to. It's a sweet, mild tobacco if cured properly. 

These make a stunning addition to the back of the flowerbed, whether you harvest the leaves or not. They get about 6'-7' tall with large pink flowers on them most of the summer. You need an especially long growing season, or lights to start them indoors very early, to get mature seeds before the fall frost kills the plants, but the flowers are worth growing! 


I'm glad to see that these seeds are still viable after three years, as well!



I have a balcony full of wintersewn seeds, some of which are sprouting now. the viola johnny jump ups and the liatris/gailardia are up! The peony poppies are up in a wintersewn jug! Surprising, since they are annuals. I think I'll bring that jug in at night if it dips much below freezing again. The jug will protect them from frost but not from freezing solid. You can see my list of wintersewn seeds in an older post "Winter Sewing". 

I considered planting the winter squash indoors early since that is what I did with them in Ontario, but I don't think it's going to be necessary here. I think I'll wait and just plant those directly in the garden. I'm looking forward to growing our favourite squash here this year. I hope those three year old seeds are still viable too, especially since they are so rare a variety! We grow Hopi Black Squash


I'm going to plant my primulas and my tray of sweet William seedlings out into the garden today! I planted two urns full of pansies last week and they are doing very well! 


Is it spring where you are yet? 








4 comments:

Linda said...

How lovely! I live in Montreal, Quebec and we had a blizzard yesterday! It isn't Spring yet over here but I thoroughly enjoyed your lovely photos.

Providence Acres Farm said...

I don't envy you the weather in Montreal! We had a sprinkling of snow yesterday afternoon, after working in the morning in sandals and light jacket. You just never know!

Gina said...

greetings from over here in Germany

oh yes some 20 degrees C today garden in full blossom, cherries out, tulips just about magnolias almost gone

have a nice weekend

Greetings

Gina

Providence Acres Farm said...

Hi Gina!
It's not quite that warm here yet but it will be soon! My irises are growing!